Animal Technician – 3 positions
£17,088 - £19,850 plus £2,500 Recruitment and Retention Allowance for a Home Office personal licence (PIL)
Permanent Full Time 36 hours per week
MRC Ares, Cambridge UK CB22 3AT
Would you like to work for one of the world’s leading research institutes?
The Laboratory of Molecular Biology (LMB) is part of the Medical Research Council where scientists are using mice and rats in their research to understand biological processes at the molecular level with the aim of tackling major problems in human health.
The LMB Biological Services Group (BSG) maintains advanced facilities to house breeding and experimental rodent colonies. We aim to provide the highest standard of modern transgenic production services and experimental resources to support the future scientific programmes of the LMB.
You will join a dedicated team of approximately 70 staff, the majority of whom are animal technicians.
You will be responsible for ensuring that excellent animal care is provided and that high welfare standards are met. Animal health and welfare are of paramount importance to all staff at the LMB and are essential in achieving valid scientific results.
What you’ll do:
- Care for wildtype and genetically altered research mice within individually vented caging (IVC), systems or flexible-film isolators
- Daily welfare observations of the mice to provide a full health check
- Ensure that the animals have fresh water and food provisions at all times
- General animal husbandry duties, including cleaning cages and weaning animals
- Liaise with team members and research staff
- Keep accurate records, both written and on electronic databases
- Perform regulated procedures using a Home office Licence (if held)
- Ensure high standards are met to comply with Home Office requirements
What we’re looking for:
- Minimum 5 GCSEs (or equivalent)
- A dedicated and consciencious individual who shows empathy for animals
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience of working as part of a team
- Support for comprehensive training programme
- Regular paid overtime at weekends
Benefits and training:
Working for the MRC provides a whole host of benefits including:
- A final salary pension scheme
- Benenden Healthcare Membership
- Excellent Holiday Entitlement (30 days Annual Leave, 2.5 Privilege Days + Bank Holidays)
You will also have access to:
- Employee shopping/travel discounts
- On-site sport and social facilities
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Childcare vouchers
To apply and access full details of the vacancy please visit our job board at our website by clicking apply.
Closing date: 17 August 2017
Final appointments will be subject to a pre-employment screening.
The Medical Research Council is an Equal Opportunities Employer who participates in the Disability Confident scheme